Western Volunteers at Miriam's Kitchen
Every month on the fourth Wednesday of the month from 6:00a to 8:30a
Organizer: Jean Yablon
**RSVPing to this event does not register you for a shift - see below for Volunteer Hub instructions.**
We're so glad that you're interested in volunteering at Miriam's Kitchen.
Miriam's Kitchen works to end chronic homelessness in Washington, DC. We advocate for permanent supportive housing as a long-term solution, while meeting short-term needs by providing healthy meals and high-quality social services to the chronically homeless. Our volunteers help to make our programs possible and we're so grateful for your support.
Here's some basic information to get you started.
Things to Know Before You Sign Up
All volunteers must be over 18 years old to be in the kitchen and in the dining room.
• Closed-toed, comfortable shoes
• No tank tops, shorts/skirts, tight leggings, or excessive jewelry. You could wear your Western Micah 6:8 shirt!
• Wear clothing that is fine getting a little dirty/sweaty
• Heads must be covered in the kitchen. All long hair must be restrained in addition to being covered. We suggest you bring your own hat, but we do provide hats/hairnets if necessary.
All Western volunteers should read this Volunteer Guide before their first shift.
IN PERSON ORIENTATION
It is helpful, but not required, for Western volunteers to also attend the general New Volunteer Orientation offered one Friday a month. Look on Eventbrite for the next orientation date and to sign up.
Registering for a Shift
WESTERN'S RESERVED SHIFTS
Western has reserved two Kitchen Shifts a month, when you can help serve a meal or do prep work for a future meal:
• 3rd Wednesday Dinner Shift: 4 pm - 6:30 pm (2.5 hours)
• 4th Wednesday Breakfast Shift: 6 am - 8:30 am (2.5 hours)
To sign up for one of Western's shifts, log in at Volunteer Hub to find open shifts. If signing up for the first time, create a profile and use the code WESTERN. (Volunteer Hub is a separate system from CCB so you will need to create a VolunteerHub profile.)
You may want to sign up for a shift outside of Western's assignments:
Kitchen Shifts: Volunteers can help serve a meal or do prep work for a future meal.
• Monday through Friday - Breakfast 6-8:30am or Dinner 4-6:30pm
• Tuesdays & Thursdays - Prep 12-2pm
Guest Services: Volunteers can help distribute toiletries, fulfill clothing orders, or simply engage with our guests. Some volunteers help by giving haircuts, manicures, or writing resumes. Do you have some other skills to offer? Let us know!
• Monday through Friday - Morning 6-8am/Evening 4-6pm
Miriam's Studio: Volunteers can lead a writing group or assist the art therapist before, during or after studio time. Writing group volunteers need to come at least once a month and Studio volunteers need to come once a week.
• Monday through Friday—8:15 - 9:45 am
If you would like to volunteer for one of these other shifts, email Miriam's Kitchen Volunteer Coordinator, Martha Wolf, to have your VolunteerHub profile updated.